Cheater's Chicken and Gravy
- 4 pieces boneless chicken of choice Does not need to be defrosted!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon season salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder onion powder, smoked paprika
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp. saute oil of choice
- Instant pot: Poach chicken using tray insert. (pour water in bottom, place frozen chicken on top of metal steam tray) Set on meat setting or manual for 30 minutes. Once instant pot is done, dredge chicken in flour/ spice mixture, pressing to get a good coating.
- Remove cooking water (now homemade broth) into another bowl, whisk in remaining flour where you have dredged chicken.
- On saute' setting, add oil and brown floured chicken. Set aside once both sides are brown.
- Stirring constantly, add broth/ flour mixture back to instant pot. Cook until gravy is thickened to your liking. Add chicken back to pot. Serve.
- Slow cooker Method:
- Add chicken and water to slow cooker. Cook on low 6-8 hours or high 4-6 hours. Remove chicken, dredge in flour and spice mixture. Saute' in oil on stove top pan, browning both sides. Set chicken aside.
- Whisk remaining flour in broth in slow cooker. Transfer to stove top pan, stirring constantly on medium heat until gravy is thickened to your liking. Add chicken to gravy, serve.
Variations: Gluten free: Substitute cornstarch for flour easily, your chicken will have a crunchier coating. Ensure you whisk cornstarch into broth thoroughly so your gravy has no lumps. Season with whatever you like, and always season to taste.
Happy belated Mother’s Day from the trenches of Motherhood.
As I type, I have a sleeping baby on me that wakes up the minute I put him down. He’s as large as a frozen butterball turkey, so my clavicle might dislocate at any time. The great news is he’s warm and clean and happily snoring.
This is my first time celebrating as a mother. It means a lot to me as our son was born early and had to stay in the hospital for a time. I’ll never forget the dinging of the monitors, for months I heard it anytime there was any kind of droning noise. Seeing babies smaller than ours gave me a sense of perspective some people will never understand.
I was an emergency C-Section. I endured severe agony for months getting my child to nurse, I would do it all again a million times if it helped our baby even a fraction. This is the gift of motherhood. This is the gift of fighting hard for what you love. I have never known a love this fierce and unyielding. You hear people talk about a Mother’s love, but I had no idea until this year.
As for daily mom life, it is crazy. This recipe is great for those days. There’s no defrosting! Put it in with water, brown it, and gravy it! It’s from scratch and let me tell you, it’s good. This was adapted from a Carolina recipe.
I love it because I hate futzing with raw chicken. This way you use the flour for both the dredging and gravy application. There’s no going back and forth with egg and flour making a mess. Sometimes from scratch can be easy.
It’s pictured with my microwave mashed potatoes and country style green beans. This is some husband pleasing food, and they will never know it was easy.
What’s your favorite chicken recipe?