Taco Carne (Easy taco meat recipe)
- 1 pound ground beef/chicken/ better than beef soy crumbles
- 1 heaping tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil omit if using ground beef unless you are using the leanest grind- 90/10
Stovetop: On medium high heat, brown protein of choice in oil. Add spices, serve!
Instant pot: On saute setting, brown protein of choice in oil. Add spices, serve!
Crock pot method: cook on high 4-6 hours, stirring occasionally to break up protein into smaller pieces.
*Note* If using a high fat content beef, you may need to drain excess fat before serving.
I’m tired of using taco seasoning for tacos.
It’s just not that hard to season your taco meat. I do love using it for tortilla soup or the family-famous pescado tacos. This recipe is curated from New Mexico- you can better believe it is authentic! Of course you can season to taste.
Any of you nonbelievers scoffing at my inclusion of a soy based meat substitute? Ye of little faith. I was recently introduced to Better than Beef brand and it is absolutely delicious. My vegan friends won’t be missing out on this one!
May all your taco Tuesdays be bountiful.
What’s your favorite taco?